c19th 'grand tour' souvenir bronze reduction of the albani vase cast by bardedienne

C19th 'Grand Tour' souvenir bronze reduction of "The Albani Vase" cast by Bardedienne .


Price

SOLD

Item Ref

ML 182

Description

C19th 'Grand Tour' souvenir bronze reduction of "The Albani Vase" cast by Barbedienne.
Well-cast and richly patinated bronze copy of the ancient marble twin-handled krater vase, known as the Albani vase, mounted upon a green 'Prato verde' , serpentine marble block base.
Discovered in Rome in the mid C18th during the excavation of the grounds of a Villa sponsored by the great collector, connoisseur and patron of ancient art antiquities, Cardinal Alessandro Albani , the ancient marble vase was thought to have originally stood outside the Temple of Bacchus .
The rims with 'egg and dart' borders above a vine leaf decorated collar . The body cast with the masks of bearded gods set amongst drapery and lion-skins , whilst the twin handles are formed by twisted vine branches, standing on a fluted socle .
Signed on the edge of the socle "F. Barbedienne" . The French foundry of Ferdinand Barbedienne were a renowned producer of quality objects and sculpture during the mid C19th. This copy of the Albani vase , appears in the Barbedienne catalogue of 1886 titled "Cratere vase consacre a Bacchus ".
In excellent condition with a consistent mid 'chocolate' brown patination. Minor chips to the edges of the marble base.
H (overall) 10"
H (bronze) 5.5"
W 9"
D 5.5"
France c.1890
Established in the Cathedral City of Worcester for over 30 years , M.Lees&Sons , run by Michael Lees ,have been dealing with public and trade from show-rooms in an early Georgian town-house. We aim to provide a straight-forward approach to our business and build lasting relationships with our customers. As members of the 'London and Provincial Antique Dealers Association' , we provide full descriptive details , date ,authenticity and any available provenance ,with full disclosure of any restoration or repair which may have taken place .
Whether buying for pleasure , decoration or investment, we welcome you to our web-site or premises .
Past projects have included advising clients on forming and disposing of collections , furnishing period properties , hotel and commercial projects , also a shoot-room and lodge .
All goods are available to view and owned by M.Lees&Sons .
If visiting, a telephone call prior is advisable as due to the demands of the business the show-room does not have regular hours . Please feel free to contact us if we can be of assistance .
www.leesantiquesworcester.com.
Tel. 01905 26620 / 07860826218
Located in the centre of Worcester in the shadow of the Cathedral with easy parking nearby. Exit Junction 7 M5 and follow the signs for Worcester Porcelain Museum . Our premises are located 100 metres from the Museum and 50 metres from Pay&Display car-park in nearby King St.
Internal Ref: ML 182


Dimensions

Height = 24 cm (10")
Width = 20 cm (8")
Depth = 15 cm (6")



This item is SOLD and is no longer available to purchase.

* This item has been sold, though you can still email the seller if you wish



View Similar