c19th bronze 'grand tour' souvenir reduction after the antique of the warwick vase

C19th bronze 'Grand Tour' souvenir reduction, after the antique, of "The Warwick Vase".


Price

£1,600
| $2,130 USD | €1,813 EUR


Item Ref

ML 1710

Description

C19th bronze 'Grand Tour' souvenir reduction, after the antique, of "The Warwick Vase" .
Well-cast French bronze copy of the iconic ancient Roman marble vase known as "The Warwick Vase" . Mounted on a stepped plinth and solid block base of well-figured 'verde antico' marble.
The vase is richly carved with 3-dimensional faces of Bacchic gods and with intertwined leaf and grape-vine detail relating to the cult of the Roman god of wine , Bacchus (the Greek god Dionysus) . The front carved with a lion mask and pelt . The twin handles of intertwined grape vines , the top rim cast with ovolo or 'egg-and-dart' design. Joined to the marble base by a contrasting ring of gilded bronze.
The bowl , believed to be conceived as a ritual drinking vessel is raised upon a turned circular socle , the base of the bowl with acanthus leaf decoration.
"The Warwick Vase" is an ancient Roman marble vase with Bacchic ornament that was discovered at Hadrian's Villa , Tivoli in 1771 by the Scottish antiquarian and at dealer , Gavin Hamilton. The vase was one of many fine sculptures with which Hadrian adorned the gardens of his palatial villa. The vase was found in fragments in the silts of Lake Tiburtina and reconstructed by Piranesi for Sir William Hamilton, British envoy to the court of Naples . From Hamilton's collection it passed to his nephew George Greville ,2nd Earl of Warwick, from where it's title derives. It is now on exhibition in the Burrell Collection near Glasgow, having been saved for the nation .
In good original condition with a dark consistent patination.
H(overall) 12"
H (bronze) 8"
W(handles) 12"
D 8"
France c.1870
Established in the Cathedral City of Worcester for over 30 years , M.Lees&Sons , run by Michael Lees ,have been dealing with public and trade from show-rooms in an early Georgian town-house. We aim to provide a straight-forward approach to our business and build lasting relationships with our customers. As members of the 'London and Provincial Antique Dealers Association' , we provide full descriptive details , date ,authenticity and any available provenance ,with full disclosure of any restoration or repair which may have taken place .
Whether buying for pleasure , decoration or investment, we welcome you to our web-site or premises .
Past projects have included advising clients on forming and disposing of collections , furnishing period properties , hotel and commercial projects , also a shoot-room and lodge .
All goods are available to view and owned by M.Lees&Sons .
If visiting, a telephone call prior is advisable as due to the demands of the business the show-room does not have regular hours . Please feel free to contact us if we can be of assistance .
www.leesantiquesworcester.com.
Tel. 01905 26620 / 07860826218
Located in the centre of Worcester in the shadow of the Cathedral with easy parking nearby. Exit Junction 7 M5 and follow the signs for Worcester Porcelain Museum . Our premises are located 100 metres from the Museum and 50 metres from Pay&Display car-park in nearby King St.
Internal Ref: ML 1710


Dimensions

Height = 31 cm (12")
Width = 41 cm (16")
Depth = 20 cm (8")



Email about this item:




View Similar