early c20th french plaster library bust of marcus vipsanius agrippa

Early C20th French plaster library bust of Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa.


Price

SOLD

Item Ref

ML 1610

Description

Early C20th French plaster library bust of Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa .
Life-size plaster copy of the marble original now housed in the Louvre Museum , Paris , France. A cast produced by the 'Musee Du Louvre' , and bears their impressed stamp to rear .
The marble original was acquired by Napoleon in 1807 from the Borghese collection . The marble bust was discovered in 1792 at a property in Gabies belonging to Prince Camille Borghese. Hence the bust is known as the "Agrippa De Gabies"
A Roman copy of the lost original , it depicts the stern-faced his head Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa (63-12 BC ) general and son-in-law of the Emperor Augustus.
Agrippa was a Roman statesman ,consul , general and architect. As well as his important military victories ,most famously defeating Mark Antony and Cleopatra at the Battle of Actium in 31 BC, he was partially responsible for helping to create Rome as a city of marble and many of the most notable buildings in the history of Rome including the original Pantheon ,and creation and renovation of the acqueducts giving Romans of all social classes, access to water and public services . He became praetor,governor, consul ,edile and a patron of the arts.
Patinated plaster simulating the colours of the aged marble original . Head turned slightly to the left, raised upon a circular waisted socle base with shaped mount. This powerful portrait bust study emanates authority and determination in its sober simplicity .
Has minor damage/chip to edge one ear.
H 24"
W 12"
D 10"
France c.1920
Established in the Cathedral City of Worcester for over 30 years , M.Lees&Sons , run by Michael Lees ,have been dealing with public and trade from show-rooms in an early Georgian town-house. We aim to provide a straight-forward approach to our business and build lasting relationships with our customers. As members of the 'London and Provincial Antique Dealers Association' , we provide full descriptive details , date ,authenticity and any available provenance ,with full disclosure of any restoration or repair which may have taken place .
Whether buying for pleasure , decoration or investment, we welcome you to our web-site or premises .
Past projects have included advising clients on forming and disposing of collections , furnishing period properties , hotel and commercial projects , also a shoot-room and lodge .
All goods are available to view and owned by M.Lees&Sons .
If visiting, a telephone call prior is advisable as due to the demands of the business the show-room does not have regular hours . Please feel free to contact us if we can be of assistance .
www.leesantiquesworcester.com.
Tel. 01905 26620 / 07860826218
Located in the centre of Worcester in the shadow of the Cathedral with easy parking nearby. Exit Junction 7 M5 and follow the signs for Worcester Porcelain Museum . Our premises are located 100 metres from the Museum and 50 metres from Pay&Display car-park in nearby King St.
Internal Ref: ML 1610


Dimensions

Height = 60 cm (24")
Width = 30 cm (12")
Depth = 25 cm (10")



This item is SOLD and is no longer available to purchase.

* This item has been sold, though you can still email the seller if you wish