c19th italian carved alabaster 'grand tour' souvenir sculpture after the antique of spinario or the thorn puller

C19th Italian carved alabaster 'Grand Tour' souvenir sculpture ,after the antique, of "Spinario" or "The Thorn Puller".


Price

SOLD

Item Ref

ML 169

Description

C19th Italian carved alabaster 'Grand Tour' souvenir sculpture ,after the antique, of "Spinario" or "The Thorn Puller".
Originally recorded as seated outside the Lateran Palace , Rome, in 1165, the celebrated Roman marble sculpture from the Medici collections ,is now exhibited in a corridor at the Uffizi Gallery, Florence , Italy.
The Greco-Romano Hellenistic bronze version is now housed in the Capitoline Museum, Palazzo dei Conservatori, Rome , where it was placed in the 1400's.
Known to have been studied by , and to have influenced some of the greatest Renaissance sculptors such as Michelangelo . Copies of the statue were gifted to ,and commissioned by ,the Kings and aristocrats of Europe throughout the C16th . Examples can be found amongst the collections of the great aristocratic and Royal houses and museums of the world .
"Lo Spinario" or "Il Fidele" (The Faithful) was thought by some scholars, to depict a faithful lowly shepherd boy who having delivered a message to the Roman Senate ,his errand run , has stopped to remove the thorn from his foot. However, later thinking is that the sculpture's origins pre-date this theory .
Well carved and good scale version of the iconic image of the boy shown in intense concentrated focus attempting to remove a thorn from the sole of his foot. The base of the sculpture having been worked as rock ,upon which he is seated.
Excellent original condition with no breaks ,chips, repairs or damage.
H 12"
W 6"
D 6"
Italy c.1890
Established in the Cathedral City of Worcester for over 30 years , M.Lees&Sons , run by Michael Lees ,have been dealing with public and trade from show-rooms in an early Georgian town-house. We aim to provide a straight-forward approach to our business and build lasting relationships with our customers. As members of the 'London and Provincial Antique Dealers Association' , we provide full descriptive details , date ,authenticity and any available provenance ,with full disclosure of any restoration or repair which may have taken place .
Whether buying for pleasure , decoration or investment, we welcome you to our web-site or premises .
Past projects have included advising clients on forming and disposing of collections , furnishing period properties , hotel and commercial projects , also a shoot-room and lodge .
All goods are available to view and owned by M.Lees&Sons .
If visiting, a telephone call prior is advisable as due to the demands of the business the show-room does not have regular hours . Please feel free to contact us if we can be of assistance .
www.leesantiquesworcester.com.
Tel. 01905 26620 / 07860826218
Located in the centre of Worcester in the shadow of the Cathedral with easy parking nearby. Exit Junction 7 M5 and follow the signs for Worcester Porcelain Museum . Our premises are located 100 metres from the Museum and 50 metres from Pay&Display car-park in nearby King St.
Internal Ref: ML 169


Dimensions

Height = 30 cm (12")
Width = 15 cm (6")
Depth = 15 cm (6")



This item is SOLD and is no longer available to purchase.

* This item has been sold, though you can still email the seller if you wish



View Similar