impressive late c19th largescale italian carved serpentine marble 'grand tour' souvenir sculpture after the antique the dying gaul

Impressive late C19th large-scale Italian carved serpentine marble 'Grand Tour' souvenir sculpture ,after the antique , "The Dying Gaul".


Price

£5,200

Item Ref

ML1509

Description

Impressive late C19th large-scale Italian carved serpentine marble 'Grand Tour' souvenir sculpture,after the antique, "The Dying Gaul". Impressive carved marble version of the iconic ancient marble statue of the defeated and mortally wounded Gallic or Celtic warrior, the Roman marble version now exhibited in the "Hall of the Galatian" ,The Capitoline Museums, Rome. A copy of the lost Hellenistic bronze original from the 3rd Century BC , the Roman marble was rediscovered in the C17th whilst excavations were being made at the 'Villa Ludovisi' in Rome ,first recorded in an inventory of 1623.
The wounded warrior with a bleeding sword puncture to his chest ,is depicted wearing his neck torc , and lying upon his shield with his discarded martial equipment and trumpet strewn around him. Well-defined carved torso and musculature , the facial expression and pose capturing the vanquished state of the defeated Gaul. The subject is shown naked with the exception of a modesty fig-leaf. Mounted upon an integral moulded oval base.
This sculpture having been skilfully hewn and carved from a single block of Italian green serpentine marble , with a highly-polished finish to the deeply patinated and figured stone . 'Verde Prato' serpentine stone has been quarried near to Prato , North-West of Florence , Italy , for centuries.
A highly sought-after image by wealthy C19th 'Grand Tourists' and connoisseur collectors , examples of the statue grace many of the world's finest museums and country-houses.
Large casts can be seen in the gardens of Blenheim Palace and also Rousham House , Oxfordshire ,England.
This large marble sculpture has been professionally cleaned and subject to some minor historic repairs . Presented in good original condition with no losses , with only minor evidence of old repairs.
W 28"
H 18"
D 13"
Italy c.1880
Established in the Cathedral City of Worcester for over 30 years , M.Lees&Sons , run by Michael Lees ,have been dealing with public and trade from show-rooms in an early Georgian town-house. We aim to provide a straight-forward approach to our business and build lasting relationships with our customers. As members of the 'London and Provincial Antique Dealers Association' , we provide full descriptive details , date ,authenticity and any available provenance ,with full disclosure of any restoration or repair which may have taken place .
Whether buying for pleasure , decoration or investment, we welcome you to our web-site or premises .
Past projects have included advising clients on forming and disposing of collections , furnishing period properties , hotel and commercial projects , also a shoot-room and lodge .
All goods are available to view and owned by M.Lees&Sons .
If visiting, a telephone call prior is advisable as due to the demands of the business the show-room does not have regular hours . Please feel free to contact us if we can be of assistance .
www.leesantiquesworcester.com.
Tel. 01905 26620 / 07860826218
Located in the centre of Worcester in the shadow of the Cathedral with easy parking nearby. Exit Junction 7 M5 and follow the signs for Worcester Porcelain Museum . Our premises are located 100 metres from the Museum and 50 metres from Pay&Display car-park in nearby King St.
Internal Ref: ML1509


Dimensions

Height = 45.7201 cm (18")
Width = 71.1201 cm (28")
Depth = 33.0201 cm (13")



Email about this item: