late c19th 'grand tour' souvenir bronze statue after the antique venus of capua

Late C19th 'Grand Tour' souvenir bronze statue after the antique "Venus of Capua"


Price

£1,300
| $1,731 USD | €1,473 EUR


Item Ref

ML 1511

Description

Late C19th 'Grand Tour' souvenir bronze statue after the antique, "Venus of Capua".
The original marble Capuan Venus statue represents a semi-naked Aphrodite, named after its place of rediscovery at the ruins of the ancient Roman amphitheatre at Capua in the Campania region of southern Italy .
The statue being an earlier version of the type of the Venus de Milo and close in conception to the Venus of Arles. This Roman version of an Ancient Greek figure , depicts the Goddess probably admiring her reflection in the shiny surface of her lover Ares' shield , which she previously held.
Combining both sexual allure and martial symbolism , the Venus of Capua evokes the Greek past, yet also bears new resonances in its Roman civic context. Worship of ,and the cult of Aphrodite continued throughout the Roman period , where she was known as Venus and symbolised Rome's imperial power. Roman temples were built to solicite her assistance in battle.
The goddess is depicted here semi-naked ,partially clad in a richly draped himation, with her left foot on the helmet of Ares (Mars to the Romans) the God of War. In her hair she wears a diadem , symbolic of her status as a Goddess.
The marble original now exhibited in the Museo Nazionale , Naples.
This fine bronze reduction has a good, deep ,consistent patina with dark green tinge and has crisp well-cast detail throughout. The figure raised on a finely-decorated circular base . Inscribed on the base by the foundry "E. Pollice, Napoli".
Copies of this statue can be found in the great museums and private collections of the world , for example a large casting is featured in the Water Terraces garden of Blenheim Palace , Oxfordshire ,England, seat of the Duke of Marlborough.
H 16"
Naples ,Italy c. 1900.
Established in the Cathedral City of Worcester for over 30 years , M.Lees&Sons , run by Michael Lees ,have been dealing with public and trade from show-rooms in an early Georgian town-house. We aim to provide a straight-forward approach to our business and build lasting relationships with our customers. As members of the 'London and Provincial Antique Dealers Association' , we provide full descriptive details , date ,authenticity and any available provenance ,with full disclosure of any restoration or repair which may have taken place .
Whether buying for pleasure , decoration or investment, we welcome you to our web-site or premises .
Past projects have included advising clients on forming and disposing of collections , furnishing period properties , hotel and commercial projects , also a shoot-room and lodge .
All goods are available to view and owned by M.Lees&Sons .
If visiting, a telephone call prior is advisable as due to the demands of the business the show-room does not have regular hours . Please feel free to contact us if we can be of assistance .
www.leesantiquesworcester.com.
Tel. 01905 26620 / 07860826218
Located in the centre of Worcester in the shadow of the Cathedral with easy parking nearby. Exit Junction 7 M5 and follow the signs for Worcester Porcelain Museum . Our premises are located 100 metres from the Museum and 50 metres from Pay&Display car-park in nearby King St.
Internal Ref: ML 1511


Dimensions

Height = 40.6401 cm (16")
Width = 15.24 cm (6")
Depth = 15.24 cm (6")



Email about this item:




View Similar