imposing c19th italian 'grand tour' souvenir carved serpentine marble sculpture group after the antique of the uffizi wrestlers

Imposing C19th Italian 'Grand Tour' souvenir carved serpentine marble sculpture group ,after the antique, of "The Uffizi Wrestlers"


Price

SOLD

Item Ref

MLUW 155

Description

Imposing C19th Italian 'Grand Tour' souvenir carved serpentine marble sculpture group ,after the antique, of "The Uffizi Wrestlers" . Exceptional quality carved marble group of good scale ,after the original now housed in the Tribuna of the Uffizi Gallery ,Florence ,Italy.
The Roman marble group thought to be modelled after the lost Greek bronze original ,of 3rd century BCE , was discovered in 1583 near Porta S.Giovanni, Rome . Purchased by Cardinal Ferdinando de'Medici , formerly housed at the Villa Medici in Rome before moving to Florence in 1677. In 1800 it was removed together with other treasures to Palermo to escape the French , being returned to the Tribuna in 1803.
Also known as 'The Two Wrestlers' or 'The Pancrastinae' , the group depicts the two young men engaged in a type of martial art combat called Pankration. Their muscular structure is very defined and exaggerated due to their physical and sustained effort. Copies of this iconic sculpture have been reproduced in both marble and bronze both full-size and miniature. Phillipe Magnier produced a marble group c .1684 for the gardens of Versailles, later moved to Marly ,now in the Louvre, Paris.
The group here is carved from a single block of Italian green serpentine marble, with a highly-polished finish to the figured stone . 'Verde Prato' serpentine stone has been quarried near to Prato , North-west of Florence , for centuries. The base is rusticated to portray the earth on which they fight.
Excellent original condition and colour .
Minor historic repairs.
A master class of the marble carvers oeuvre.
A bronze cast of the group by Soldani Benzi of Florence , can be found in the formal garden of Blenheim Palace ,Oxfordshire , England.
H 14"
W 14"
D 6"
Italy c.1880
(For a similar example see Christie's "Claudio Bravo Collection" Sale no. 12938 13/07/2016 Lot no. 11 6000 )
Established in the Cathedral City of Worcester for over 30 years , M.Lees&Sons , run by Michael Lees ,have been dealing with public and trade from show-rooms in an early Georgian town-house. We aim to provide a straight-forward approach to our business and build lasting relationships with our customers. As members of the 'London and Provincial Antique Dealers Association' , we provide full descriptive details , date ,authenticity and any available provenance ,with full disclosure of any restoration or repair which may have taken place .
Whether buying for pleasure , decoration or investment, we welcome you to our web-site or premises .
Past projects have included advising clients on forming and disposing of collections , furnishing period properties , hotel and commercial projects , also a shoot-room and lodge .
All goods are available to view and owned by M.Lees&Sons .
If visiting, a telephone call prior is advisable as due to the demands of the business the show-room does not have regular hours . Please feel free to contact us if we can be of assistance .
www.leesantiquesworcester.com.
Tel. 01905 26620 / 07860826218
Located in the centre of Worcester in the shadow of the Cathedral with easy parking nearby. Exit Junction 7 M5 and follow the signs for Worcester Porcelain Museum . Our premises are located 100 metres from the Museum and 50 metres from Pay&Display car-park in nearby King St.
Internal Ref: MLUW 155


Dimensions

Height = 35.5601 cm (14")
Width = 35.5601 cm (14")
Depth = 15.24 cm (6")



This item is SOLD and is no longer available to purchase.

* This item has been sold, though you can still email the seller if you wish