rare pair of early c19th george iv period mahogany salver stands almost certainly attributable to gillowslancaster

Rare pair of early C19th George IV period mahogany salver stands, almost certainly attributable to "Gillows",Lancaster.


Price

SOLD

Item Number

ML157

Description

Rare pair of early C19th George IV period mahogany salver stands, almost certainly attributable to "Gillows",Lancaster. Designed to display silver salvers or porcelain chargers upon , these rare pair of stands are in excellent original condition . The lead-weighted and encased rectangular plinth bases have turned 'split' baluster-moulding lateral rests to house salvers at various angles. The scribed -edge, concave-top broad strut uprights being angled to offer safe support to the dishes.
Susan E.Stuart "Gillows of Lancaster and London",Vol.II , p.119, Plate 669, shows a similar example the design of which was illustrated in October 1826, made for Ferguson and Co. Made to support and display silver plate on a sideboard table (see Vol.I Plate 371).
Excellent original condition and colour .
Though lacking the impressed mark of the maker, the form, period, timber and quality of these stands , lead to an almost certain attribution to the esteemed and highly-regarded firm of Gillows of Lancaster.
One retaining original baize lining to underside of base, the other left exposed to show construction(can be re-baized if desired).
Note: A single similar unmarked stand sold Bonhams ,New Bond St.,London 18/11/09 2640.
H 16"
H (Base)3.5"
W 9"
D 5"
England, Lancaster c.1826
Established in the Cathedral City of Worcester for over 30 years , M.Lees&Sons , run by Michael Lees ,have been dealing with public and trade from show-rooms in an early Georgian town-house. We aim to provide a straight-forward approach to our business and build lasting relationships with our customers. As members of the 'London and Provincial Antique Dealers Association' , we provide full descriptive details , date ,authenticity and any available provenance ,with full disclosure of any restoration or repair which may have taken place .
Whether buying for pleasure , decoration or investment, we welcome you to our web-site or premises .
Past projects have included advising clients on forming and disposing of collections , furnishing period properties , hotel and commercial projects , also a shoot-room and lodge .
All goods are available to view and owned by M.Lees&Sons .
If visiting, a telephone call prior is advisable as due to the demands of the business the show-room does not have regular hours . Please feel free to contact us if we can be of assistance .
www.leesantiquesworcester.com.
Tel. 01905 26620 / 07860826218
Located in the centre of Worcester in the shadow of the Cathedral with easy parking nearby. Exit Junction 7 M5 and follow the signs for Worcester Porcelain Museum . Our premises are located 100 metres from the Museum and 50 metres from Pay&Display car-park in nearby King St.
Internal Ref: ML157



This item is SOLD and is no longer available to purchase.

* This item has been sold, though you can still email the seller if you wish



View Similar