c19th oil painting on panel by stephen brownlow

C19th oil painting on panel by Stephen Brownlow.


Price

£3,800
| $5,060 USD | €4,306 EUR


Item Number

MLTH 148

Description

C19th oil painting on panel by Stephen Brownlow. Depicting shipping on the river Tyne , well-executed and composed study by the renowned local Newcastle-on-Tyne artist. Regarded as one of the major artists of the Cullercoats Artists' Colony, Stephen Brownlow (1828-1896) ,trained at Newcastle School of Art under the celebrated painter William Bell Scott. He was a close friend of the artist Robert Jobling ,often going on sketching trips with him. Brownlow is known to have lodged or had a studio in Cullercoats in 1866. The Newcastle artist Ralph Hedley was another friend and painted his portrait which is in the Shipley Art Gallery ,Gateshead. Brownlow was trained as a boot-maker by his father in Byker and took evening classes at Newcastle's Government school of Art. In the 1880's ,encouraged by the formation of the Bewick Club, an artists exhibiting society , Brownlow took a studio at 22,New Bridge St.
This picture shows shipping navigating the river Tyne , showing its shore-line and city backdrop. In the distance can be seen the lantern of St.Nicholas Cathedral, a landmark whose distinctive outline has served as a navigation point for ships on the often foggy Tyne for over 500 years. To the right the fish quays and harbour of North Shields are depicted and also the white-painted "High Light" tower. A busy picture capturing the bustling life on the river in the second half of the 19th century, and of great documentary interest for the North-East. Signed right-hand lower .
In it's original contemporary wood and gesso 'leaf-wrapped' frame , bearing paper trade label of Newcastle framers 'T.J.Jones'.
Two pictures of similar subject matter by Stephen Brownlow, "Early Morning, North Shields ,Tyne and Wear" and "North Shields" 1880, can be seen at the Quadrant, North Tyneside Council and at the Laing Art Gallery respectively.
At present behind glass, this picture is offered in untouched, fresh-to-the market condition.
Size overall W 34" x H 29".
Picture W 24" x H 19".
Provenance: from a local deceased Worcestershire estate.
England c. 1880
Established in the Cathedral City of Worcester for over 30 years , M.Lees&Sons , run by Michael Lees ,have been dealing with public and trade from show-rooms in an early Georgian town-house. We aim to provide a straight-forward approach to our business and build lasting relationships with our customers. As members of the 'London and Provincial Antique Dealers Association' , we provide full descriptive details , date ,authenticity and any available provenance ,with full disclosure of any restoration or repair which may have taken place .
Whether buying for pleasure , decoration or investment, we welcome you to our web-site or premises .
Past projects have included advising clients on forming and disposing of collections , furnishing period properties , hotel and commercial projects , also a shoot-room and lodge .
All goods are available to view and owned by M.Lees&Sons .
If visiting, a telephone call prior is advisable as due to the demands of the business the show-room does not have regular hours . Please feel free to contact us if we can be of assistance .
www.leesantiquesworcester.com.
Tel. 01905 26620 / 07860826218
Located in the centre of Worcester in the shadow of the Cathedral with easy parking nearby. Exit Junction 7 M5 and follow the signs for Worcester Porcelain Museum . Our premises are located 100 metres from the Museum and 50 metres from Pay&Display car-park in nearby King St.
Internal Ref: MLTH 148


Dimensions

Height = 86.3602 cm (34")
Width = 73.6601 cm (29")
Depth = 12.7 cm (5")



Email dealer about this item: