pair of c19th italian 'grand tour' souvenir carved serpentine marble models of jennings dog

Pair of C19th Italian 'Grand Tour' souvenir carved serpentine marble models of "Jennings Dog".


Price

£900
| $1,198 USD | €1,020 EUR


Item Ref

ML138

Description

Pair of C19th Italian 'Grand Tour' souvenir carved serpentine marble models of "Jennings Dog" after the antique. The dog being a Roman sculpture of a Molossian guard-dog with a docked tail, named after its first 'modern' owner Henry Constantine Jennings, who acquired it during his stay in Rome for 80 ,sometime between 1753 and 1756 quoting "a fine dog it was, and a lucky dog was I to purchase it". It is a 2nd century AD Roman copy of a Hellenistic bronze original probably from 2nd century BC. The study showing the immense physicality and power of this impressive canine specimen .
Now on permanent display in The British Museum having been saved for the nation (see photo below). Also known as the "Hound of Alcibiades", by legend the Greek statesman who owned such a fierce dog and docked its tail to invoke pity from the Athenians and distract them from his worst deeds. Also latterly known as "Duncombes Dog",when in 1778 , Jennings was forced to sell the sculpture in settlement of his gambling debts and it was sold at Phillips for 1000 to the Rt.Hon Charles Duncombe. Subsequently it stood guard for 150 years in the entrance hall at Duncombe Park ,Yorks, before being sold by descendents in 2001 , and thence to the national collection after export was deferred and $950,000 raised by appeal to secure it.
A similar pair of antique mastiff sculptures in marble are on view in the Belvedere Court of the Vatican Museums .
Both dogs of good colour and patina and with finely detailed carving. Minor chip to snout of one dog .
'Verde Prato' serpentine stone has been quarried for centuries near to Prato , North-west of Florence.
Nice scale and a 'handed' pair.
H 7"
Bases 6" x 3".
Italy c.1880
Established in the Cathedral City of Worcester for over 30 years , M.Lees&Sons , run by Michael Lees ,have been dealing with public and trade from show-rooms in an early Georgian town-house. We aim to provide a straight-forward approach to our business and build lasting relationships with our customers. As members of the 'London and Provincial Antique Dealers Association' , we provide full descriptive details , date ,authenticity and any available provenance ,with full disclosure of any restoration or repair which may have taken place .
Whether buying for pleasure , decoration or investment, we welcome you to our web-site or premises .
Past projects have included advising clients on forming and disposing of collections , furnishing period properties , hotel and commercial projects , also a shoot-room and lodge .
All goods are available to view and owned by M.Lees&Sons .
If visiting, a telephone call prior is advisable as due to the demands of the business the show-room does not have regular hours . Please feel free to contact us if we can be of assistance .
www.leesantiquesworcester.com.
Tel. 01905 26620 / 07860826218
Located in the centre of Worcester in the shadow of the Cathedral with easy parking nearby. Exit Junction 7 M5 and follow the signs for Worcester Porcelain Museum . Our premises are located 100 metres from the Museum and 50 metres from Pay&Display car-park in nearby King St.
Internal Ref: ML138


Dimensions

Height = 17.78 cm (7")
Width = 15.24 cm (6")
Depth = 7.62 cm (3")



Email about this item:




View Similar