early c19th bronze 'grand tour' souvenir sculpture of the farnese hercules

Early C19th bronze 'Grand Tour' souvenir sculpture of "The Farnese Hercules".


Price

SOLD

Item Ref

MLWA 1312

Description

Early C19th bronze 'Grand Tour' souvenir sculpture of the "Farnese Hercules". Large-scale bronze version of the antique Roman marble sculpture of the Greek hero Herakles depicted resting after the completion of his 'Twelve Labours' or tasks ,set out to him in Mythology. He leans ,resting on his wooden club , his expression weary, whilst the pelt of the slain Nemean lion is draped next to him and his right hand behind his back clutching the 'Golden Apples' of the Hesperides. The ancient Roman marble statue had been re-discovered during excavations in The Baths of Caracalla in Rome in 1546 and installed in the courtyard of Cardinal Allesandro Farnese's palace on the banks of the Tiber, where it was surrounded by frescos depicting his heroic feats and where it became one of the highlights of the Roman Tour for visiting scholars, connoisseurs and artists. The 3rd Century AD Roman marble Hercules signed by Glykon, after the ancient 4th Century BC Greek bronze original by Lysippos, was moved to Naples in 1787 and is now exhibited at the 'Museo Archeologico Nazionale' .The impressive sculpture which stands at over 3 metres tall ,portrays the exaggerated musculature of the towering hero,whilst conveying through his pose and down-cast expression ,the weariness from the execution of his Labours. The heroically-scaled statue of Hercules is one of the most famous sculptural images of antiquity and has fixed itself firmly into the European imagination. This finely cast version has a good consistent patination and colour with minor high-points. The stunning sculpture is a magnificent and powerful study of the Mythological hero and was much-admired and sought-after , bronze examples such as this ,being collected for the great Country Houses of England , Museum and gallery collections of the World. H 29". Italy c. 1830.
Established in the Cathedral City of Worcester for over 30 years , M.Lees&Sons , run by Michael Lees ,have been dealing with public and trade from show-rooms in an early Georgian town-house. We aim to provide a straight-forward approach to our business and build lasting relationships with our customers. As members of the 'London and Provincial Antique Dealers Association' , we provide full descriptive details , date ,authenticity and any available provenance ,with full disclosure of any restoration or repair which may have taken place .
Whether buying for pleasure , decoration or investment, we welcome you to our web-site or premises .
Past projects have included advising clients on forming and disposing of collections , furnishing period properties , hotel and commercial projects , also a shoot-room and lodge .
All goods are available to view and owned by M.Lees&Sons .
If visiting, a telephone call prior is advisable as due to the demands of the business the show-room does not have regular hours . Please feel free to contact us if we can be of assistance .
www.leesantiquesworcester.com.
Tel. 01905 26620 / 07860826218
Located in the centre of Worcester in the shadow of the Cathedral with easy parking nearby. Exit Junction 7 M5 and follow the signs for Worcester Porcelain Museum . Our premises are located 100 metres from the Museum and 50 metres from Pay&Display car-park in nearby King St.
Internal Ref: MLWA 1312



This item is SOLD and is no longer available to purchase.

* This item has been sold, though you can still email the seller if you wish



View Similar